Autonomous Source

August 08, 2004

A day in the life, part IV

Okay, it's been three months since the last day in the life, so here's an update. I do these mostly for myself so I'll remember what being with these guys was like, but I've made a concession to readers of this blog this time and decided not to give a description of each poopie diaper I change. Previous days in the life are here: part I, part II and part III.

4:30 Talia wakes up crying. She's been doing this quite a bit lately and it's frustrating. Nightmares we think, and they're common at this age so we're not worried about it, but it is a bother. Mama gets up to pat her head and calm her down and she goes back to sleep. We don't take her out of her crib. Max never even moves during all this.

6:00 The alarm goes off. Mama gets up about ten minutes later, but I greedily stay in bed to try to snag a bit more sleep.

6:40 I get out of bed and grab a shower while Mama makes breakfast:

Morning Meusli

3 large handfuls regular oats
2 bananas
2 Granny Smith apples
yogurt (the real stuff), orange juice, optional extra fruit

Moisten the oats with a bit of water in a large bowl. Microwave on high for about 90 seconds. Peel the apples and grate them. Peel and mash bananas in bowl with oats, add grated apples, and mix in yogurt and orange juice until desired consistency is reached. Add chopped fruit such as peaches, strawberries or mangoes for variety. Serve!

KA-KAK!KA-KAK!  KA-KAK!7:00 The kids wake up. They're laughing and chattering together as they usually are in the morning. I get them out of their cribs and let them run around upstairs for a bit. Lately they've taken great interest in a couple of ancient wooden duck decoys that we used to use as doorstops. As soon as they're free in the morning, they run to Mama and Papa's room to get the ducks from their hiding place in the closet. They walk around with them, put them on top of things, and speak for them. The sound the ducks make is, "ka-kak!"

7:20 Downstairs, dressed and eating their meusli. Letting them eat with a spoon takes way too long, and makes them frustrated. They're hungry! I feed them myself.

7:35 After they're free from the high-chairs, I try to look at couple of blogs in the newspaper in the kitchen. Talia won't allow that, and leads me by the hand to the living room floor to sit down. Max brings over a book and the three of us read it together. He's been very cute with books lately. He'll just walk over with a book, hand it to me, then turn around and plop into my lap.

7:45 Mama leaves.

8:00 The book-reading is over. I've taken out the bin full of tupperware for them to play with.

8:15 In the day's first episode toddler-on-toddler violence, Talia pokes Max in corner of eye with a book. He bawls for a couple of minutes. Time to take them downstairs for their daily dose of programming from the insidious brain-washing machine. The basement is toddler-proof (I think) so I leave them there so I can eat my meusli and read some blogs.

8:45 I come downstairs with the laptop and monitor what the kids are watching while I try to write a bit. We're watching TVO, which is okay in its programming, but has the most hair-pullingly annoying 'host' fill the time between shows. Her name is Giselle, and she adopts a strange Transylvanian accent for everything she says. It's tiresome after 30 seconds. We watch Zoboomafoo, Peep in the Big Wide World, and Boo!, a new british show. Boo! is a wonderful show, with a smooth and simple 3D animation, great music, a fun format and no lecturing. It's at the perfect level for them. Boo and his friends Laughing Duck, Growling Tiger, and Sleeping Bear might even rival Tinky Winky, Dipsy, Laa-Laa and Po in my children's affections if it was on more often.

9:30 Time to go upstairs. I let them climb the stairs by themselves and usually there's no problems, but today Talia slipped on a step with her hand and whacked her head. Poor sweety!

9:40 I give them a cookie and some milk for a snack.

10:00 Nap time. I get a chance to clean up a bit and read some blogs.

11:30 They're up. I notice Max has a small red dot in the whites of one of his eyes. Possibly a result of the T-on-T violence earlier.

11:45 Two young girls from down the street come over to play with Max and Talia. They're about eight or nine and they're here to learn some babysitting skills (and have fun). I let them occupy the kids as I prepare lunch. They're a little smothering, picking them up, moving them around and pushing toys in their hands, but it's okay.

12:00 Lunch time. The girls help feed Max and Talia. Again, a little too forcefully -- Max and Talia are capable of feeding themselves for the most part -- but it all goes well.

12:40 The girls take the kids for a walk in the stroller. I get a bit of time to myself.

12:50 That was quick. They have to go home. Wave bye-bye, guys!

1:00 The kids are out in the yard playing in the lab. It's quite chilly outside for August -- only 15 degrees.

They work there for about fifteen minutes, then decide to find out what else there is to do in this world. They make a break for it. I don't let them get too far.

2:00 Da train! Da train! The Wakefield Steam Train travels pretty much through our back yard. It's passing is the most anticipated moment of the day. Talia stamps her feet and says, "Teen! Teen!", and Max imitates the whistle, "OOOooooOOO! OOOOOoooooOOO!".

Okay, it's gone. Time for another nap.

3:30 Up again. Max is not in a good mood. He's crying and clingy and can't be consoled. I've put some Cheerios on a shelf as a snack for the kids, but only Talia is interested. Max is slumped in my arms, sobbing. Talia takes a few Cheerios and tries to stuff them in Max's mouth. It's not that simple, little girl. She bends over him and looks at him curiously. "Happy! Happy!", she says to him. No effect.

5:00 Mama gets home. Max is a little better, but still is not a fun toddler. Mama suggests that perhaps he's teething and needs some pain killers? D'oh.

5:30 Time for supper. Some frozen pasta sauce with baby pasta and some blueberries for dessert. Mama has noted that the kids have been eating all the nice seasonal fruit and we've hardly had any. Max is already much better.

6:45 Bath and bedtime. Bedtime has because a much more raucous event. The plan is that we take them in their room with cups of milk and spend time with them reading until they get sleepy. What happens is that they run around madly and occasionally come to us for sips of milk. It's fun, and they don't really complain when it's time to get in the cribs.

7:10 Dinner for Mama and Papa, and unlike the other Days in the Life, this time I made a decent meal.

Blue Cheese Pasta

blue cheese, about 100g per serving (use the cheap stuff)
olive oil
whipping creme
red grapes

Crush the garlic and sauté in a small amount of olive oil. Crumble and drop in the cheese and heat on low until it's melted. Add a couple of pinches of nutmeg and a little creme. The sauce will be an unappetizing grey colour but will still taste good. Toss with the pasta and serve with toasted chopped walnuts and split grapes on top.

Okay, that's it for today...

Posted by Bruce Gottfred at August 8, 2004 09:59 AM | TrackBack

The problem with the posts is that it isn't really making me want to have children. Though entertaining to read up at 6 and work all day isn't that compelling right now. Tentative honeymoon: Cage diving with great white sharks in south africa, followed by a mandatory session on the beach in the seychelles for Jime.

Posted by: Andrew Barden at August 8, 2004 04:45 PM

How can it not make you want to have kids? I even left out the poopie diaper stories. I have some good ones, like the one today that was pitch black and sticky and dyed Talia's legs purple. The reason? Blueberries. And I've got many more.

Posted by: Bruce Gottfred at August 8, 2004 07:47 PM
Post a comment

Remember personal info?

Site Meter